Friday, November 16, 2007

A Simple Plea

for those who aren't familiar with the mess happening at the university where I received my education, you can catch up here. I can't tell you how disgusted I am with what is happening- because there just are not words for it. its more like an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach every time I read the latest news from tulsa. and I think that awful feeling has not reached its peak yet- which gives me another kind of feeling. anyway, my plea is simple: stop and come clean, roberts family. stop trying to cover things up and pretend like nothing is wrong. stop making a mockery out of your students and alumni. stop making a mockery out of what so many of them have worked so hard to accomplish. stop making a joke out of our faith- and out of the Object of our faith. please just stop- and start talking.

I've thought recently that we really don't have a handle on the practice of confession. I mean if The Roberts family would have said from the beginning something like "we've been doing a lot of things wrong for a long time, and its time for us to step down" the integrity of the university would have been preserved and the family would have been forgiven and it could have all gone away. but instead, they denied and denied and are still denying and the situation has become ridiculous. but don't we all do this? I mean I usually don't readily admit that I was wrong- I try and defend myself first. david did that too when he sinned with bathsheba and samuel had to slap him upside the head. maybe we all need that sometimes, maybe that is what it takes for us to break down and confess our sins. we need to be slapped upside the head by someone who knows better. and maybe that is what the roberts family needs. and i pray that the lord provides someone to do the slapping soon. but... and here is the difficult part- we all have to be ready to forgive if they come clean. they may not ever be fit to run a university, but God help us if we ever decide that they are unfit for redemption.